Giving birth is probably one of the most fulfilling achievements a woman could have. But new moms are not pleased with the after-effects of pregnancy on their bodies. They usually opt for weight loss programs a few weeks after delivery. Physicians state that exercising after giving birth is generally safe as long as you do not overdo your workouts. It’s important to do exercises to lose pregnancy weight to avoid complications.
When To Start Exercising After Pregnancy
It will be easier for your body to recover if you have been exercising before and during your pregnancy. Having a physically fit and healthy body helps a lot in the giving birth process. It will also be easier for you to achieve your weight loss goals if your body is accustomed to exercising.
According to doctors, new moms can start exercising a few days after giving birth or as soon as they feel ready. They should opt for low-impact exercises first and gradually work their way to intense fitness plans. Walking is a good example of a low-impact exercise that moms can do. Losing your pregnancy weight can be a challenging journey. But with regular exercise and a proper diet, you will lose your baby weight in time.
Postnatal Exercises To Lose Pregnancy Weight
Weight loss exercises will help you eliminate the baby weight that you gained during your pregnancy. But aside from your goal to get rid of unwanted fats, you should also opt for exercises that restore your body’s strength. This is to ensure that you are equipped to care for a newborn, a job that requires a strong and healthy mother.
To help you lose your pregnancy weight fast, here are some of the most effective exercises for you to try.
For The Tummy
- Bridge. This exercise is effective in strengthening your core and reducing belly fats. Core strength is very much helpful when it comes to lifting a baby, this will significantly help you care for your newborn. The bridge targets specific body parts such as hips, core, hamstrings, and glutes.
To perform the bridge, lie on the floor while bending your knees at a 90-degree angle. Place your arms at each side and keep your palms facing down. Gently lift your hips while keeping your shoulders in contact with the floor, hold the position for 5 to 6 seconds and go back to the starting position. Repeat this ten times in three sets.
- Plank. Planking is one of the most constructive exercises for the tummy. It targets your core muscles while burning belly fats effectively. Combining plank and bridge will eliminate your pregnancy weight in a short period of time.
To do the plank, lie on the with your tummy facing down, lift your whole body with the support of your toes and forearms. Keep your back straight and be sure to watch your posture. Hold the pose for half a minute and take a 30-second rest. Repeat five times.
For The Legs
- Squats. Doing squats is the most favorite exercise of many women. This exercise can tone your body while burning extra fats at the same time. It generally targets leg muscles as it quickly burns fat in many parts of your body.
Start squatting by standing straight, bend your knees as you push your hips to the back. Incorporate your butt by thrusting it out for as far as you can. As you do this, maintain the upright position of your chest and shoulders.
- Curtsey. This postpartum exercise is great for your inner thighs. It will help you lose pregnancy weight as it also targets your abs, quads, hamstrings, and buttocks.
Perform the curtsey by standing with a shoulder-width space between your feet. Extend your arms forward with your palms facing outward. Do a curtsey position by lunging your left leg backward, while you are doing this, bring your left foot to the right foot as you bend your knees together.
For The Arms
- Arm cycling. Be sure to have an exercise that targets your shoulder, arms, biceps, and triceps as well. This is so you can have a balanced and toned body. Arm cycling exercises are great for women who don’t want to have bulky arms.
Do arm circle exercises by standing straight with your feet shoulder-width apart. Now extend your arms outwards on each side. Rotate your arms backward twenty times then change direction. Be sure to keep your shoulders steady. Add intensity to your exercise by gradually adding weights using dumbbells.
- Tricep dips. Tricep dip is an easy exercise that tones up your back muscles and triceps. You will be needing a chair or a bench for this exercise.
Sit on the edge of the chair or bench. Support your body by pressing your palms on the bench strategically placed at the side of the thighs. Keep your feet firmly positioned on the floor. Keeps your arms straight. After the starting position, lower your hips going to the floor as you bend your elbows for support. Hold for a few seconds and return to the original position.
For The Back
- Back raise exercise. Being pregnant for 9 months puts a lot of pressure on your back. It is advisable that you restore your back’s strength after giving birth as you will be needing it in taking care of the baby.
To start, lie down facing the floor, extend your arms upward. Keep your legs and feet together. After doing so, lift your upper body up and slowly go back down. Incorporate your neck into the exercise by extending it as you lift yourself up.
- Hip plank. To get rid of your pregnancy weight, add the hip plank exercise to your routine. This back exercise helps in toning up the muscles in your back. It could also reduce the side belly fats that most new moms want to remove immediately.
Start by doing the traditional plank starting position. Tighten your core as you move your torso from side-to-side. Make sure that your hip touches the floor before you move to the other side again.
For better results, you may opt to ask for tips from previously pregnant women who successfully achieved their weight loss goals. Make your workout more effective with the right diet, eat meals that will help you gain muscles, and it’s also important to plan your workout scheme every week to lose more fat.